Marsabit acting County Commander Mark Wanjala in his office on November 20, 2015. On January 8, 2016, he confirmed that two Kenyans abducted last week by Ethiopian security personnel had been freed. FILE PHOTO | KEN BETT | NATION MEDIA GROUP
Marsabit acting County Commander Mark Wanjala in his office on November 20, 2015. On January 8, 2016, he confirmed that two Kenyans abducted last week by Ethiopian security personnel had been freed. FILE PHOTO | KEN BETT | NATION MEDIA GROUP

(Daily Nation) — Two Kenyans who were abducted last week by Ethiopian security personnel have been freed, Marsabit acting County Commander Mark Wanjala has said.

Mr Halkano Sora, 48, and Mr Huka Guyo, 40, were released on Wednesday evening.

“I can confirm the two were dropped (off) by a car near the border at around 3pm on Wednesday.

The two men are in fair condition,” said Mr Wanjala in his office in Marsabit Town.

The Ethiopian police reservists crossed over into Kenya and abducted the two on January 2 from Dadachakore in Bori Village, near the Kenya-Ethiopia border at around 8am.

They also allegedly stole two firearms from Kenya Police Reservists in Moyale that are yet to be returned.

Mr Wanjala said authorities are yet to establish the motive of the attackers, adding that preliminary investigations showed the foreign soldiers were in pursuit of Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) members.

“They were interrogated in three locations in Ethiopia on the whereabouts of the OLF rebels before being dropped (off) at the border,” said Mr Wanjala.

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*